My day started off well enough - - I slept late, LOL. Since it was a warm day, relatively speaking(62), and the car's transmission does better in warmer weather, we decided I would meet J in McRae and he would follow me on to his dad's to drop off the car.
Here's where the trouble started. I had several containers of water in case it leaked out on the way. I filled it up(after coming inside for one of those clingy jar-opener thingies to get the friggin' cap off), started the car, and... it wouldn't steer. I called J, who told me to check the power steering fluid - - that wasn't the problem. He said he would check it when he got home. A weird thing happened to me, though. Even though I was in the yard, not broken down beside the road somewhere, I started shaking and crying, like I did the morning it first quit on me. Do I have some strange phobia of the car now?
Anyway, J figures it's the power steering pump(another $70). And the transmission's in such bad shape... who knows what'll go next. We need another car, but to be perfectly honest, our credit is so bad we'll never manage financing. We talked about it today and came up with two options. The first is finding a cheap car at one of those low-rent, no credit check places where we actually pay them for the car. We could manage a small payment - - it would mean cutting back, but I have regular hours now, and we are... were... getting ahead when this happened.
The other option, the one we don't want to do, is selling the land we have in Rhine. This would be the 22 acres that are woods, it's separate from the two acres the house is on. My cousin Joey has mentioned he would like to buy it, and so has the guy who owns the land surrounding it. We risk alienating my aunt and uncle if we sell it to anyone but Joey(my uncle hunts on it, and still could if Joey buys it - - that's what the reason he wants it). We're going to lose it anyway if the property taxes keep going up.
If we do that, we could pay off the truck(we have a year left on it), and buy a new, small car outright that does better on gas mileage.
There's a third option that we aren't seriously considering, which is what my aunt and uncle, as well as J's dad, want us to do - - let the house here go back and move back to Rhine. That presents a few problems. First, our credit would be even worse than it is now.
Second, J really likes it here. I miss home(the house in Rhine will always be home to me), but I've grown to like it here.
It would also create problems with my job. A transfer takes a while, and I would need a transfer to a store closer to Rhine(and before we actually move back). I don't want to lose my job. I like it, and I like where I'm working now. The bosses there are some of the nicest I've worked for. It wouldn't affect J's job, we're just as close to it from either place.
And of course, there's the sentimental aspect - - Mom loved this house so much. She'd lived in apartments for ages and never owned a home. She and Ben were so very happy here. Have I ever told you guys their story? Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. I told Mom before she died that J and I were going to keep the house, and that made her happy. And yes, I know she wouldn't hold it against me if we don't.
In any case, like I said, decisions, decisions. Comments and advice aren't necessary, but are not unwelcome.